Good afternoon,

Is there a PolyNurbs Symmetry or Symmetry control mode / option? I was starting to make alot of progress figuring out how to polyNurb a Kayak (see images attached)--I was getting really impressed with the control and speed; eventually I went looking for a PolyNurbs Symmetry option/mode, and have not been able to locate it. I was looking for my polynurb to be symmetrical across the X axis.  

I did some research in the solidthinking help index, I could not find anything on PolyNurbs Symmetry-- so as I adjust the control points on one side, it automatically updates the other side (X Symmetry- Y Symmetry). This seems to be a common feature in other polynurbs programs I have used in the past (Geomagic/ Zbrush /Rhino Tsplines). I'm starting to get disappointed.  I tried mirroring, but of course I lose my PolyNurb controls as soon as I trim it in half.

Can you confirm it does or does not exist? Can you suggest  alternative methods to obtain symmetry in a PolyNurb, other than selecting the sister control points at the same time?

post-38370-0-22842400-1437584919_thumb.j

post-38370-0-47159200-1437584919_thumb.j

Hi Brent,

We are working on a symmetry option that can be used with everything in Evolve, including PolyNURBS, but it is currently not there yet.

You can use the Mirror tool.  Since the PolyNURBS objects are always retained in construction history you can just select the source PolyNURBS object and edit it, and the mirrored object will update as well.

Hope that helps.

Yes, that trick work perfect, thank you!!

I created a Polynurb cube to Boolean subtract the polynurb in half, then mirrored as you suggested. I was initially having a lot of difficult, but once I was really careful about ensuring the mirror is place symmetrical on the X axis  using SNAP TO GRID, every thing mirrored fine.

It is still a little disconcerting to modify one side then have to wait a few 3-8 seconds for the whole thing to rebuild, depending upon the length of the construction tree after the poly-cube. So there is a little lag to see the results of my manipulation, which is fine, but i am looking forward to seeing your symmetry option implemented, it sounds like it will be very versatile. 

post-38370-0-49581900-1437660309_thumb.j

post-38370-0-67678100-1437660309_thumb.j

Hi Brent,

When I work in PolyNurbs and want to keep everything symmetrical I try to use the SCALE tool for entire EDGE LOOPS.  This ensures that both sides are modified the same amount.  This is my alternative until we get symmetry controls.  I've attached a picture to show you what I mean.

post-38879-0-64713700-1437681073_thumb.j

Peter