Al_x

is using inspire for joineries in furniture (mostly lamp) designing useful?

Al_x    0

Hi,

I am an amateur furniture designer  who uses 3d printing for joineries etc. and i realized some time ago that the shape of the 3D pieces should follow the forces that are applied on them, but i wasn't aware of solid thinking until recently.

I am excited about the possibilities to use inspire to support my projects but most of the tutorials out there are focused on the engineering of parts which have constant stream of difference forces working upon it. while most joineries are more stationary ( i focus more on lighting furniture) then engineering parts. I haven't yet found a method to incorporate inspire in my workflow but i would wish to, however i would first like to know IF inspire is the right tool for my projects. all advice would be very welcome!

thanks

Al_x

Hi Al,

It sounds like, you could benefit from Inspire. As long as you have any masses on top of your furniture, you have forces Inspire will use to come up with a better shape.

This can be done for sheets (cut out zones) as well as for 3D structures you can optimize and redesign with PolyNURBS (you then go and print).

What is your workflow right now? What's your CAD system?

Regards,

Felix