MarkL

Spitting a solid using a plane as a splitting tool.

Hi,

I am new to Evolve and I am trying to split a solid object into 2 independent/separate solids using a plane as a splitting tool but it doesn't work. I used "intersect tool" to split the object. The result I get is that the object is not split in 2 separate objects as I can see in the construction history. I am thinking I may need to collapse construction history in order to be able to split a solid into 2 separate parts. Prior to using Evolve I have been using SpaceClaim ( mechanical solid direct modeler) and this simple  operation of splitting a solid into two separate solids using a plane as the splitting tool is a very simple and easy procedure in SpaceClaim. 

Thanks,

Mark

Hello,

We are here in the Inspire (not Evolve) forum.

INSPIRE:

Use the "Cut Modify" Tool to slice solids by planes. See attached picture.

EVOLVE:

For Evolve you can use the Trim command: http://www.solidthinking.com/help/Evolve/2017.3/win/en/index.html?329_Trim.htm

To delete the construction tree, use the command Edit->Collapse Construction Tree. You can save the source objects by answer "No" in the dialog.

To have the construction tree is in general a big advantage over other modelers.

Best Regards,

Mario

Cut.jpg