Akshay

How to create solid bodies using loft feature?

Hello guys, I wanna know how to create solid bodies in evolve using loft feature between curves. Actually I want to create spoke of wheel rim using loft command but I'm unable to make it a solid body.

Do we get solid body if we loft between all the curves? Please help me regarding this. If you have any evolve model of rim spoke that will be very appreciable.

Thank you in advance

Thank you Mario for clearing my doubt. I am sending you an image in which I've closed the surfaces but when section view in turned on it still shows hollow surface. Please have a look at it. Do you mind giving your email ID so that I can send you "Evolve" file of my rim.

evolve_doubt.jpg

If you have a group of surfaces that make a closed volume and want it to be a solid you just need to select the Combine tool and select all the surfaces.  This will make the resulting object a true solid.

• Confused 1

Actually while designing the rim, I revolve rim profile by 72° ( 5 spoked rim) and then draw spoke cross sectional profiles and revolve them by 72°. After that I use "intersect" command to trim unnecessary faces (i.e. faces inside rim profile). After using "intersect" command Evolve treats that body as a single body. Then how can we use "combine" command to combine entities as "intersect" makes it single body.

Please help.

Thank you.

You can use combine also on a "intersect" entity, but I can't see any difference. Intersect combine the surfaces automatically.

If you want to use e.g. the "Trim" command on more then one surfaces at the same time, than you use combine. After intersecting is is also possible, without combining.

Maybe Envolve handle this closed volumes as solids, but in the end, it does not matter. Section views are always open, trimmed bodies becomes closed.

2 hours ago, Mario said:

You can use combine also on a "intersect" entity, but I can't see any difference. Intersect combine the surfaces automatically.

If you want to use e.g. the "Trim" command on more then one surfaces at the same time, than you use combine. After intersecting is is also possible, without combining.

Starting 2016, the Trim tool accepts multiple input surfaces and curves. No need to combine the input bodies. 

Always check whether the body is a solid using Analyze - 'Tolerance check' tool. This helps avoid failures downstream.

• Thanks 1