Xennon

Reverse The Default Orbit Behaviour

Xennon    3

I am glad to see that we now have an option to reverse the mouse zoom behaviour with the middle mouse button.  Sadly, there is no similar option to reverse the default orbit motion in the perspective viewport.  It still drives me crazy when dragging in one direction and the object revolves in the wrong direction (for me).  If this could be made optional like the zoom issue, it would certainly make me very happy.

Xennon    3

Hi Darren,

Yes - the issue is with all models in the perspective viewport.  It just feels counter intuitive to have the model rotate in the opposite direction to the mouse.  Interestingly, if the mouse cursor is above the model in the view the direction of rotation is correct and as expected, however if the cursor is below the model the opposite is true.  I hope that should an option get included, it makes the rotation behaviour consistant regardless of where the mouse cursor is positioned at the start.  A simple reverse toggle will only flip the two opposing actions and continue to be counter intuitive.  My preferred behaviour is for the scene/model to pivot from the point where the initial mouse click occurs.  This is how Cinema 4D behaves and to me feels right.  I hope this all makes sense.

That is really strange and should not be behaving this way.  The only time it should be rotating opposite of your mouse is if the model is upside-down (Z axis pointing down).  The reason I was asking about imported models is that in many cases the models are created with Y being the up direction whereas most surface modeling tools use Z as the up direction and can cause some unnatural behavior.