Sign in to follow this  
Lunau

iMac Pro

The new iMac Pro is out and I am about to buy one. I use Photoshop and Evolve everyday. Photoshop is working fine on my present iMac with an i7 processor and 4 cores. I would like Evolve to be faster when the scene gets more complicated and in renders with the better preset.

Can you please comment on this and also how iMac Pro would work together with Evolve coming up next year: Will every core, I can afford, help, do I need the graphics card with the most RAM, what is most important?...thanks!

Hi Lunau,

iMacPro is a new device and we are yet to run a full test on the same. As we all know, Apple no longer supports NVIDIA cards and Evolve rendering works best on NVIDIA cards that support CUDA. If rendering is a major part of your workflow, this might not be good news for you. Currently, AMD A-series APUs support GPU acceleration in Photoshop but thats about it. From what I gathered, there is no GPU acceleration akin to CUDA, yet.

AFAIK, there will be no significant speed improvement right off the bat in 2018.

Thanks for your reply. 

My present iMac has the Radeon card installed - would the render and screen-update on heawy scenes have been better, if my prensent iMac was equipped with an NVIDEA card? 

Will the next version of Evolve on mac rely on the NVIDIA as much as the present version...?

Evolve uses Thea rendering engine for rendering(includes interactive rendering). Thea works best on NVIDIA CUDA supported cards.

Thea's Presto render - a physically accurate rendering engine works only with CUDA technology.

http://presto.thearender.com/benchmark.html

However, GPU is not fully utilized when modeling. The program relies more on your CPU and number of cores.